The 1906 Amoskeag Steam Engine was sold to Robino Brothers Scrap Yard for $325.
The image below shows the entire 1951 inventory of apparatus according to the Fairfield County Chief's Emergency Plan. The inventory reveals that the 1951 SFD had four pumpers, an 85' aerial, a 65' aerial with booster tank, two City Service Trucks, one Rescue Truck, one Ambulance and one Chemical Hose [...]
This photo is of John George Schlechtweg, pumping the American LaFrance Steamer Engine at the Stamford Town Hall Fire on February 4, 1904. John received his appointment as a "call" firefighter on July1, 1889. He received his appointment as a career firefighter on March 1, 1910. He resigned and was [...]
This article is dedicated to the numerous hard-working horses of the Stamford Fire Department. They deserve special recognition, often providing a near lifetime of service to the Citizens of Stamford. HarryHarry (2)Dick ZophGeorgeFrankHomer JimEagleBilly BoThe other unnamed Horses Stamford's first horse-drawn steam pumper arrived on February 3, 1883. But they [...]
This two engines were warmly received by the members of the Department. The Tele-Squirt served the East side of Stamford as Engine 4, while its twin, without the squirt, served as Engine 3 for many years.
Service History: Truck 4 9/21/1955: Arrived from factory at 4:24pm with company engineer Fred Haskins and R. Bartholemew sales representative. This truck officially #4 Truck.9/22/1955: #4 Maxim Aerial Ladder Truck after testing and breaking drivers went in commission at #4 Station as #4 Truck.#2 Maxim Aerial Ladder Truck which had been [...]
Handtub "a fire-fighting apparatus consisting of an often tub-shaped reservoir of water pumped out through a hose by means of a pump with brakes that are rocked up and down by a number of men on each side of the apparatus. ... Also called a hand pumper or hand engine [...]
The Rippowam as it sat in the "relic" room of the Central Fire Station Stamford's first pumping apparatus was known as the "Rippowam." Pictured above, the "Rippowam" survived the early 1900's and was on display in the "Relic" room on the third floor of the new Central Fire Station which [...]
The 1947 video clip below shows the interior of the old "Central Fire Station", with the church across the street. The station was directly next door to the present day "Central Fire Station", commonly referred to today as "Headquarters." The clip comes to us by way of the 1947 hit [...]
Matthew T. Palmer was cited for his life-saving efforts while he was off duty. He was on his way home from working an extra shift at the Stamford Fire and Rescue Department when he stopped to assist a man who had collapsed on the sidewalk in front of a building [...]