Fire Antiques is excited to announce the next raffle of an early pre code “16 COMB” Chicago Helmet. The helmet will be accompanied by the original newspaper that was rolled up in the liner. It is 7 1/8 and in good solid condition. This is your chance to get a [...]
John Klinger, a letter carrier, was the first to discover the flames. He was with John McMahon and Frank Greene. The fire reached a stage which drove them out of the building. Hawley Offinger, a special officer, got Walter Williams, a police officer, on the telephone, and he ran out [...]
My name is Fire Captain Philip Hayes. I have been with the SFD for more than 34 years. I have been a history fan for most of my life. As a young firefighter, I discovered a collection of old photographs in a box at the Stamford Fire Department. But [...]
The Resolve shown below established the very fire Stamford Fire Company for the Village and Town, Resolve Authorizing A Fire Company in Stamford Passed, May 1829 Resolved, that the civil authority and the select-men of said Stamford, may meet, and they are here by directed to meet instead Stamford on [...]
On Thursday, June 12, 1913, the second section of the Boston Express crashed into the first section near the Canal Street Bridge in Stamford. Six people lost their lives and another twenty were sent to the hospital with a wide range of injuries. The Stamford Fire Department was called to [...]
The picture shown below has been hanging on the wall at Fire Headquarters for years. It was donated by Deputy Chief Jack Boesen many years ago. It has a label on it that says: Unknown Fire on Atlantic Street, 1951 Jack Dillon, John Boesen and Captain Frank Fox. Jack [...]
The 1906 Amoskeag Steam Engine was sold to Robino Brothers Scrap Yard for $325.
The Stamford Fire Department was formed in the 1980's. Several members have served for the Honor Guard for more than two decades.
An explosion and fire in Stamford Harbor knocked a boater into the water. He was rescued by nearby witnesses. The boater was fueling his boat using an electric drill when the explosion occurred. Firefighters used foam to suppress the fire.
A cigarette was named as the cause of a fire that destroyed an apartment and displaced six families for a period of time. Nobody was injured in the fire