The following newspaper article was clipped from the digital version of the  Stamford Advocate (Published as FARMER’S ADVOCATE.) on December 22, 1841, page 3.  It is the earliest newspaper clipping we have related toa fire in Stamford.  I am sure there were ones before this, but this is the first write-up we could find.

Fire – a fire was discovered about 9:30 o’clock last evening in the store N0, 200 River St., next door to the office and occupied byMessrs  JH Nichols & company as a dry goods store.  By the prompt exertions of the firemen it was soon extinguished with little damage to the building. The contents of the store were very much injured by the smoke and water. It is supposed that the fire was communicated from a stovepipe. — Troy Whig


Approximate Location on Present Day Map