On the morning of June 21, 1924, Stamford Fire Department Engine No. 4 skidded off the road at Bulls Head during a strong thunderstorm, throwing Firefighter William McCarthy from the rear step of apparatus and onto the rocks, The fall caused a significant laceration to his head. Three other firefighters (Martin J Kennedy, the driver; Michael Ryan, and John Kurtz) escaped serious injury.
The American LaFrance Triple Combination pumper was purchased just two years earlier and was being used as a reserve by Engine Company No 3 of the Westside when the accident occurred. The apparatus was responding to a report of a fire at the Stamford Hall Sanitarium and was enroute from the Fairfield Avenue Fire Station. Firefighter McCarthy was treated at the Stamford Hospital for his injuries.
The apparatus finally broke down for good on August 30, 1948. Mechanics began to dismantle the entire machine at #3 Station on April 11, 1949. Equipment and parts usable by the Chief were to be stored away for the future. Tires and tubes turned over to Mr. Case of the Service Dept. on Nov. 8, 1949.