Fire Chief: 1954 – 1956
Chief Thomas Richardson submitted his request for retirement after 43 years of service.
Events & Accomplishments During Chief Richardson’s Tenure:
- Station #2’s front was changed from three doors to two doors to accommodate modern day apparatus (1954).
- Started using the old incinerator grounds as a “drill field” (1954).
- Stamford first Maxim Engine was assigned to Station #2 (1955)
- The Fire Prevention Division was officially established (1955).
- Station #4 at 364 Shippan Avenue and Station #5 on Washington Blvd. were opened (1955).
- Captain George Daily died of a head injury sustained while performing rescue operations during hurricane (1956).
- Members begin 42-hour work week